Photo from Mount Royal, Frisco, Colorado.

"That is happiness; to be disolved into something complete and great. When it comes to one, it comes as naturally as sleep." - Willa Cather

Monday 28 January 2008

The countdown really begins

Time has been going by exceedingly slowly. I can tell the labor is getting close. Braxton hicks contractions are getting much stronger and more frequent. I've been doing an abnormal amount of nesting and cleaning (still not a lot for any normal woman, mind you). I had diarrhea on my run today (forgive me for the detail, but that's apparently a sign of impending labor). And there is a lot of pain and pressure in my pelvis.

But is this all just wishful thinking? Maybe just my attempt to find a happy meaning in random events?

I wasn't sure until the prenatal appointment today... After a long talk about waterbirth, our midwife measured the pubic bone to fundus height and found me to be a mere 31 cm at 38 weeks. Have you gotten a repeat ultrasound? She sounded concerned. I was measuring 2 cm smaller than two weeks ago.

But I think the baby dropped. I said, hoping I was right.

She did a pelvic exam and almost immediately said Wow! There's baby! He is low!

Apparently I'm at 0 station, 75% effaced and 1 cm dilated. Then she said she could feel the baby's sutures. But after all of the ooing and ahhing, she said it didn't necessarily mean I'd go into labor sooner. Bummer! But at least I'm part way there. And his head's in the right place.

As we walked out of the appointment, there was a strange mixture of worry and excitement on SR's face. It could be any time now.




In the meantime, I had a glorious run today. It's quite warm here. However, there was a lot of uneven ground, which makes for frequent ligament-type cramping. And, honestly, peeing six times in 4.5 miles is a bit excessive. But, hey, I still felt great afterwards. And, dare I ask how many 38 week pregnant women ever say they feel great? I am fortunate, no doubt, but also have to say that continuing to exercise has made all the difference.

And SR and I haven't forgot to enjoy each other's company while we wait for the little one... (Can't say I ever thought I'd read a book like this. But with SR everything is fun.)

(Yes, it does say Sex and the Perfect Lover)


Running Song of the Day: Clean Up Woman by Betty Wright

3 comments:

Meghan said...

Wow, sea legs, by your own descriptions, it does seem like you're getting very close.

Good luck on that crazy childbirth journey. Just like in racing, I think that focus and will will give you great success with childbirth.

My thoughts are with you, SR, and the little one,
Meghan

Olga said...

Aww, so close!! It's so exciting! I remember been so busy both times, I wasn't counting days, but still antisipated the arrival "come out already!":) Hope you won't take too long to post when it does happen - you know, we are part of your family, kind of, so to speak, don't take me serious, blah, blah, I really want to see the little one and hear you talk about him! :)

Lisa said...

This is a looming eventthat we all wait for on baded breath! Good job continuing to run and Good Luck! Remember, we are all thinking of you!