Photo from Mount Royal, Frisco, Colorado.

"That is happiness; to be disolved into something complete and great. When it comes to one, it comes as naturally as sleep." - Willa Cather

Wednesday 24 November 2010

Finnbjørn

We are on the train on the way to Kastrup Airport in Copenhagen - to fly into Chicago. Stefanie asked for an update since my expected period was yesterday. I took this picture this morning of the latest test, taken last night.



This test was more positive than any were in my last (unsuccessful) pregnancy. Some may ask why I needed to buy another test, but knowing the beta hcg was multiplying as expected was really reassuring.

SR and I immediately agreed on the name Finnbjørn, if it is a boy. Perhaps it's too early to think of names, but it sure is fun. We had The Lorax's name (Christian) picked out before he was even conceived. Finnbjørn is an old Scandinavian name meaning bear from the most northern part of Scandinavia. Seems like the name of a survivor. Perhaps you all think I'm joking. Anyway.

Here are the names we're considering for a girl: Pascale, Annika, Beate.

Oh, yeah, yeah, I know it's a bit early - but you are welcome chime in with your thoughts. The next time I write we'll be in the US. Happy Thanksgiving to the Americans :).

16 comments:

JKL said...

Congrats!

Ewa said...

Surely this is a good sign.
I love the meaning of the boy's name. Is there a female Scandinavian equivalent for a strong woman?
Hope you have an uneventful journey. Happy Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

Wow a very positive sign it is, congratulations!

Brianne said...

I tried to sell my husband on the name Pascale but, uh, he didn't buy it. Too bad cause I have always loved it. So that's my vote.

Meghan said...

Congrats on your pregnancy Sea Legs. What a great Thanksgiving gift, something to be truly thankful for. I'm so excited for your family!

SteveQ said...

As a cartoon fan, I thought "Ren Hoeg" sounded good, but I like all of your choices; I know one Beate (German), who has to pronounce her name to all Americans, which might be a consideration.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! So excited for you, SLG!

PiccolaPineCone said...

I love Pascale. It was on my list for la cocotte. It works for a girl or boy by adding or dropping the e.
Curious to know how you're feeling??

sea legs girl said...

Ewa, that is a great thought about female equivalent. Since the name is actually originally Icelandic, the equivalent might be something like Finnbjörk (birch from the far north), but we couldn't really call our daughter Finn or Björk for obvious reasons :). Þora is also a really cool, strong female Icelandic name, but the pronunciation would just be a huge problem in the US.

And that brings me to thanking Steve Q for pointing that out about Beate. I had a friend in high school with that name and no one seemed to have trouble with it, but I can see how, as an adult, it might be different.

Brianne and PPC, that is so cool about Pascale. It has also been a favorite of mine for many years, but SR is not easily convinced since it is more commonly a boy's name in Denmark.

Olga said...

Hope the Thanks will be given, and the Dreams come true...or is it from Christmas? Congrats:)

Anonymous said...

My husband is called Björn and nobody understands that name outside the Nordic countries, so maybe you want to reconsider your choice. Our son is called Jesper - I can really recommend that name. It is short, reminds you of your DK roots, positive (begins with "yes!") and can be combined with other nice middle names.

sea legs girl said...

Hey Olga - thanks. Considering how frightening my dreams have been lately, I'll just settle with the giving thanks part! :)

Anon,

That is a good point about Bjoern (which I can't even type on this American keyboard). One of the reasons we agreed on it is he'd just be known as Finn in the US, but would be officially Finnbjoern and known as Finnbjoern in DK.

I love the name Jesper, though I have to admit I prefer the Danish pronunciation. Though it is a really good name to be used both places.

SteveQ said...

Okay, so what's the Danish pronunciation of Jesper? Americans are used to golfer Jesper (yesper) Parnevik's name, if not his clothes, so that's the one you'd hear used in the US.

Now you know why I skip the diacritics. Let's see if it works here: BjØrn. (came out a capital, I think - it's number lock, hold down alt and type 0216) Oy vey.

sea legs girl said...

Really? I had always heard Jesper in the US pronounced Djesper instead of Yesper. The former reminds me of a mountain boy from Tennessee. Nothing wrong with mountain boys, though.

Stefanie Schocke said...

Thanks for posting!!! CONGRATS!!!! (I have never taken a pregnancy test until a few days after my missed period). I cannot believe how yours show up so early! I know it's dependent on your levels of HCG...but wow!

Kate said...

I love Finnbjoern for the reasons you said - it works in the US (Finn) and Denmark.
Of the girls' names, I love Annika.