Photo from Mount Royal, Frisco, Colorado.

"That is happiness; to be disolved into something complete and great. When it comes to one, it comes as naturally as sleep." - Willa Cather

Friday 23 July 2010

My excuse

The chances are slim; no not of winning, but of finishing Voyageur tomorrow. I have constant pain in my left hip. I don't tend to like blog posts about injuries. And I especially don't like writing them. But suffice it to say that my hip pain turned from pain while running to pain at rest despite not running at all this week. I went to the chiropractor from my first pregnancy two days in a row and now the pain is gone, as far as I can tell. But 1. the muscles are still inflamed and 2. the chance my SI joint will slide out of place again is quite high.

During my first pregnancy, I went 6 months before I had problems with my SI joint. This time I went 6 weeks. The positive side of this is maybe it will be a low-grade injury the whole pregnancy, never completely keeping me from running, but preventing me from running really fast or really far. Er, I guess you could look at it as positive.

But the biggest reason I'm writing this is so I have an excuse, for not running as fast as last year or for dropping out if it gets to the point I can't walk. I have this big fear that the wonderful supporters on this blog will say to themselves "she was the one who DNF'd in an ultra because she was pregnant". The sad thing is, if it weren't for this stupid hip, I might actually be capable of beating my time from last year.

I feel better now that I have pre-rationalized my poor performance tomorrow. Thanks.

9 comments:

Olga said...

Fine with me:)

Danni said...

Sit it out entirely if it hurts. Why aggravate it? Really though, it's run and it's supposed to be fun. You're the only one who cares about your performance really :-)

Anonymous said...

the power lines say... bring it on! if you do decide to run, have a great day on the trails!___mark

Coach Jen said...

Listen to your body and don't feel like you need an excuse. Just go out there and enjoy the run, when it gets too tough or painful then stop :)

SteveQ said...

"I can't run, I have a hangnail." My excuse, and I'm sticking to it! I may not make it to Carlton after all, but look forward to seeing you later in the week.

cherelli said...

I'm with the others - go out, enjoy yourself as much as possible - even if means smelling the roses while walking; WHATEVER you are OUT there giving it a go. Also, maybe this Si joint thing could be a blessing in disguise for improving your swim/bike combo :)

Anonymous said...

I am just now learning how to be internally, rather than externally, driven. If you could learn it and live it now, you'll be saving yourself from years of angst.

Kirsten said...

I'm so so sorry that you might have to cut down on your performance. Because I know whta it means to you. But hey, you are going to have one great thing comming out of this: A beatuiful baby!

You know, I don't get a wonderful baby just because I'm injured - but you do!!

Mind you, I have three bigger brats that cheer on me - and that's what your baby is going to do if you take it easy and "chill out" a bit while you are preggers!

SteveQ said...

Sea Legs Girl finished in about 10 1/2 hours. I found a photo of her at the turn-around, but didn't see her husband/pacer.