Photo from Mount Royal, Frisco, Colorado.

"That is happiness; to be disolved into something complete and great. When it comes to one, it comes as naturally as sleep." - Willa Cather

Saturday 23 April 2011

Chippewa 50 k - the morning of

It is rare I am up in time to write a blog post the morning before a race, but that is what jet lag will do to you. I slept from 8 to 4 and am feeling really ready to tackle the trails of the Chippewa Moraine. SR is sleeping and I am sitting in the Bloomer Inn lobby drinking coffee from Kwik Trip. And I just finished a peanut butter and chocolate rice krispie treat - only slightly less satisfying than the pecan carmel cream cheese pie last night.

I have no particular expectations for today. It is a really nice feeling to have before an ultra. I think this pregnancy will make me learn more about how to run in the future. Really, every race should be like this: going out and enjoying the day, seeing how fast and how much you feel like running simply according to how you feel. It takes a lot of pressure off.

And if I don't finish all 50k today, it' not for lack of gear. I finally caved and bought compression socks. The CEP brand, since if you recall from my post about compression socks, they're the only ones that have some amount of evidence proving they work. So far it has been a good decision because the pitting edema that had been around my ankles for weeks now has disappeared. There is probably no time of life that one could get greater benefit out of those stockings when running than when pregnant.

And I bought a prengancy support belt. I went out running for about 15 minutes with it and noticed absolutely no difference, but I've decided to run with it anyway.

I promise to take pictures and give a full report after the race. Happy Easter weekend, everyone!

4 comments:

Olga said...

Have fun!

mmmonyka said...

Enjoy! (although I cannot imagine how one can enjoy running 50k:))

cherelli said...

Love the approach - hope it's a lot of fun!

Diana said...

Sounds like you're ready and relaxed. Have a wonderful time, SLG!