Photo from Mount Royal, Frisco, Colorado.

"That is happiness; to be disolved into something complete and great. When it comes to one, it comes as naturally as sleep." - Willa Cather

Friday 21 December 2012

Winforce 100km, Solomon 4 Trails & Fyr til Fyr


Every once in a while, I get a really good email. On Monday morning, I woke up to one of these from Christian Madsen from ultrarun.com asking me if I would be the race physician for his Winforce 100k. I got a huge smile on my face, knowing of course I would say yes, but also thinking - WOW. This is not something I have tried before. I immediately contacted physicians who might be in the know about this kind of thing, and have gotten some very good help and advice already. But- if any of you readers have been an official race physician before, I would love to hear you thoughts and advice (heck, even if you're not a physician and you just want to share something).

1. So the Winforce 100km takes place August 17th here in northern Zealand in Denmark. It is a trail race and a qualifier for UTMB (and probably will be for Western States).

WINFORCE 100 km

I also want to point out that Martin Paldan will be the race photographer and his adventure photography has such an incredible life-like quality.

I chose this one because it reminds me of Christmas lights.
I hope he gets a shot of me stitching up a wicked laceration. Okay - maybe not.

2. But, before that Alicia (of Trails & Rocks fame: http://aliciasrunningandracing.blogspot.dk/ (not working to make this a link!)) , Maria and I are going to be racing in the Alps this July. I mentioned it to coach Ole- and he is okay with it. As long as it is my last ultra before my sub 3 hour marathon attempt - in October?? Salomon 4 trails July 10th-13th. 150km, 10,000 meters alititude change. We're trying to convince SR and Alicia's husband Divesh to join, but SR wants to crew for us and Divesh wants to work on the chemistry of plastics (I kid, Divesh! But it is true.)
XKross 3 Running

3. Also, since we're going in backwards order, SR and I will be running the Fyr til Fyr  60km race on the Danish island of Bornholm April 6th. It is in the Baltic Sea just off of Sweden and to me it sounds like they speak Danish with a Swedish accent. Very endearing.

Here is a map of the race:
Point to point. 60km. Bus to start. All for $40.
So lots of excitement after kicking off the year with the Bandera 100km.

Training with the help of Ole has been going well. I did 5km + 4km on the treadmill in 34:37 on Monday, Wed: 10km in 45:50 + 200 x 6 in 41 sec avg. Thurs: outdoor 1km x 5 track intervals in avg. 4.01. Not fast enough, but I'm faster than last year at this time, which makes me happy.

I told Ole I'm not much for days off, so we're working on the "benfri" (legs free) concept for those days.

For right now, the goal race plan is

Goal race #1: Copenhagen Marathon May 19th - PR
Goal race #2: Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon??  Oct. 6th - sub 3 hours

Christian (middle) with his Icelandic girlfriend, Sigrún and her little sister, Selma. The wedding will be in Mývatn, Iceland. You are all invited.


Song of the day (and the song I keep playing over and over) is Emmylou by First Aid Kit. Thanks to Steve Q for the rec. Here is a beautiful live performance SR found:

8 comments:

SteveQ said...

It's "That Old Black Hole" that's stuck in my head. I hear the next Gangnam Style is "One Pound Fish."

Anonymous said...

I KNOW YOU RUN, BUT ARE YOU ACTUALLY A PYSICIAN?

sea legs girl said...

Haha. Nice comment, Anon. No, I'm actually not PYsycian, but I am a PHYsician and I think that is what they were looking for.

sea legs girl said...

Steve- That Old Black Hole tends to get stuck in my head, too! One Pound Fish, huh? I'll have to check it out - because who doesn't love Gangnam style?

Alicia Hudelson said...

I am excited about all of this! Okay, maybe Four Trails most of all, but I can't wait for your post-organized-training marathon. I might try to catch up to you at 3:10 but you are on your own when you make it to sub-3:00...which I have total confidence you will do.

sea legs girl said...

Alicia, Are you still training with Chad R? Couldn't you mention to him that you want to run a sub 3 hour marathon and see what kind of a plan he comes up with? Really, I think it is about having a good plan and sticking to it more than anything else, especially for two people like us who are starting out at a faily level playing field. Could be fun :o).

Alicia Hudelson said...

I am definitely tempted to start working with Chad again. It could be kind of cool to have a coach-off: both of them start with us (who have identical marathon PRs) and coach us for 6 months or something and then see who gets the better marathon! Hmmm...! The problem is I already have so many ultras I want to do this year, I don't think I can focus on a fast marathon until next year. We'll see. By the way, I tried to convince Divesh to come to Germany but as of now he is still more interested in plastics than us. Hmmmph.

SteveQ said...

My song list missed "This Head I Hold" by Electric Guest. Listen to it first, then watch the video - you may be surprised!