Photo from Mount Royal, Frisco, Colorado.

"That is happiness; to be disolved into something complete and great. When it comes to one, it comes as naturally as sleep." - Willa Cather

Monday 20 July 2009

Voyageur 50 - I've got some questions

We're back in the Midwestern US.

Even the insatiable Lorax has become so sick of eating like an American that he is stuffing a granola bar in his ear as I write.

Soon we're off to Lake Kegonsa for some camping with the step-kids. To bring all the readers up to speed, after this trip, step-daughter will be retuning to Denmark to live with us.

There is so much I'd like to write, but, I can't tell the story of this wonderful vacation until I upload some photos (forgive me).

I do, however, need some advice the upcoming Voyageur 50 mile race (and hopefully this advice will help some of you readers, too):

What is a good sports drink to have in my bottle?

What is your favorite thing to eat the morning before an ultra?

Is wearing a Garmin worth it or are they just too heavy?

Is biking bad when attempting to taper?

Biking song of the day: The Devil Went Down to Georgia by The Charlie Daniels Band

6 comments:

Danni said...

Do you usually use sports drink? If not I don't know that I would try something out during the race. I personally just drink water and take S-Caps for electrolytes and get calories from AccelGels (they have 5g protein in each which seems to help) or aid station food. I try to get a gel in every 30 minutes to 45 minutes.

During a taper the goal is to decrease mileage/time but maintain intensity. So biking is probably fine depending on how long you're considering biking.

I usually like oatmeal with peanut butter or almonds and a banana or berries and coffee for breakfast before a long race/long run.

SteveQ said...

The race provides Ultima for electrolyte replacement and it's hated by everyone except the race director. It's better than nothing and it's there.

If I'm up 4 hours before an ultra, I have oatmeal, a banana and whatever other fruit looks good at the time. Otherwise, it's just liquids (and a lot of caffeine) for me.

I'll be wearing a Garmin - the monster sized 305 - though I've never worn one in an ultra before; there's feedback I want that I can't get any other way.

Biking should be okay unless you tend to overdo everything.

Don't go out too fast in the race! Helen will run about 8 hours, Kim 9 and Val 10. If you're in first or second place early, you may not finish at all. Start slow and you might "chick" your husband!

SteveQ said...

I just checked the entrants list. Julie Treder's probably going to be ahead of you and maybe Kat Yarger, too. Lisa Trainor's an amazing trail runner, but doesn't do ultras. It's a tough field!

SteveQ said...

For some course pictures, check out http://waynelsona.blogspot.com/2009/07/half-voyageur-trail-marathon.html

Enlarging the power line photos gives some idea of what they look like.

Joy Joy said...

I like coffee and either a banana or a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter before ultras. Emergen-C is great to carry because you can just bring the packet and down it by itself instead of putting it in your water (I always find the sweet drinks revolting after a while). In my opinion, leave the GPS at home. Will it really make you faster? Or just more nervous? Good luck!!

sea legs girl said...

This advice is great!

I saw the pics, SteveQ, and am getting terrified of the hills. Denmark is a flat, flat land. And thanks for giving me an idea of where I will be among the women. I will start out slow. Would love to get around 9 hours. 8:49 is my only previous 50 mile time and was on a hilly course, but not as technical. It also depends on how hot it is, of course.