Photo from Mount Royal, Frisco, Colorado.

"That is happiness; to be disolved into something complete and great. When it comes to one, it comes as naturally as sleep." - Willa Cather

Sunday 19 December 2010

A day out on the town

During the first song of Händel's Messiah, I had one of those moments. I could not believe the three ladies I was sitting with, how lucky I was to be friends with them, how beautiful the orchestra was. I sat there overcome and then, of course, thought to myself I had better blog about it.

I had a ladies' day out with May-Britt, Helle and Henriette, whom I could say I met through running, but in reality, I met them through blogging - and then running.

We went out to a little restaurant in a basement in Copenhagen called Restaurant Puk. It is one of those places a foreigner, such as myself, dreams of. We enjoyed a 4 hour long real Danish Julfrokost (Christmas lunch) with lots of a delicacy called smørrebrød. This means butter bread, but is actually any sort of topping, well mostly fish and some meat, with a really fatty, tasty sauce, along with other accessories, which you spread on very dark, heavy rye bread and eat with a knife and fork. I am not sure if it is because I am American or because I am who I am, but I can not figure out how to use a knife. I grew up exclusively using a fork, except for spreading things on bread. I don't acutally know how to use both utensils at the same time. Danes, without exception, stare at me when I eat.

We had very lively conversation since the three ladies had had their share of beer and Schnapps. It didn't take much to get the table laughing. Much of the conversation centered around either running or how they all feel about being single. By the time we left, I had to run to the toilet and, unfortunately didn't make it and threw up all over the walls and floor and a little landed in the toilet. I still took it as a good sign and cleaned it up with a smile on my face.

We then walked to see Händel's Messiah in Holmen's Kirke: a beautiful place with perfect accoustics. It was hard not to sit there and think "This is my life, it is mine for the taking - I am happy." The soprano's voice was absolutely perfect as was the blending of the choir. And that is what music and friends can do - remind you that life is good - if you want it to be.

11 comments:

May-Britt Hansen said...

It was so nice to finally have time to talk for hours instead of those short moments before or after a race :-)

I hope you got home all right! Hope to see you again soon. Maybe I´ll join you all at Social Marathon on new years eve. It seems like everyone I know will be running!

mmmonyka said...

Sounds like fun!

How do you cut food if you do not use knife and fork? I am really curious.

SteveQ said...

Restaurant Puk? They had to know that an American would turn it into Restaurant Puke.

There's a difference in knife and fork usage between America and Europe. One holds fork in the left hand while cutting with the right, then switches the fork to the right to bring the food to the mouth. The other doesn't switch hands. And... no, I don't know which is which!

May-Britt Hansen said...

@SteveQ: Puk is a troll of the forest in a play by Shakespeare.

In Europe you hold the folk in you left hand and use the knife in your right hand to cut the meat. You don´t switch hands during dinner, but bring the food to the mouth with the folk in your left hand. It just a matter of practice :-)

sea legs girl said...

So I happen to think that the fact that I have gotten away with cutting all of my food with my fork alone is also an art :). And if the fork "can't cut it", then I simply pick it up and bite into it. When I eat with Danes, my knife dangles from my left hand like some pathetic vestigial digit - which is rarely and briefly moved over to the right hand if I really need to cut with it.

May-Britt that would be great if you came to the New Year's Social Marathon - then if you run in the faster group, maybe SR will choose to run with you.

May-Britt again - are you thinking of Puck from A Midsummer Night's Dream?

Mapp said...

I like reading about perfect moments like this : makes me feel happy! Thanks for sharing!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Effin SteveQ stole my line! I even went out and got one of these guys - ü - so I could write Restaurant Püke, and it would have BEEN AWESOME, but then SteveQ gets here first and takes the lazy man's approach. He's too püny to lift an umlaut!

Don't blame not knowing how to use a knife and fork at the same time on being American, sister. That's just you.

mmmonyka said...

At least you do not cut everything (including meat) with spoon. I know a person who does that and I consider that very bum-like.
It is good you are in cultivated Europe now, they will teach you some manners:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracy
Yes it was beautiful, fun and peaceful. As for the eating manners - when I was a child, I always held the fork in my right hand :-)
See you on the 31st

Helen said...

Great story! Hope you guys continue to enjoy the holidays. I am waay behind in blog reading but it's never too late to say Congratulations!!! Wonderful news. Even if it does involve puking in a restaurant... :)

May-Britt Hansen said...

Yes, I mean Puck from 'A Midsummer nights dream'. In the Danish version it is written Puk.