Last year, as many of you probably recall, I offered two cds of my favorite songs. It was a sort of belated Christmas gift to anyone who was interested.
This year, I have compiled a list of songs, which you can download if you so choose.
If you don't know how to convert a YouTube video to an MP3, simply send an email to me at email@example.com and I will explain.
I will start with the song title and artist, then you will find either a video or link below that. Yep, some of them weren't even on YouTube. SR asked me if I had received my cool badge in the mail for finding such unknown songs. The answer is "no"; I have not received a cool badge yet.
Now, it's time to get started.
First, a trip to Iceland.
1. Par Avion by FM Belfast (a good running song for moderate speeds)
And a song for running fast...
2. Good Morning by Rogue Wave
3. Belly of June by Horse Feathers
Maybe the best song of the year, from a band from Athens, GA.
4. Dance Floor by Apples in Stereo (good for running fast or moderate)
A story about a guy named Lewis, which is perfect of a long run.
5. Lewis Takes off his Shirt by Owen Pallett
This next song is included because one just can't help running fast when it's playing. And A+ for the lyrics.
6. Collector by Here We Go Magic
A song from Sweden in Swedish
7. Skisser för sommaren by Kent
A song from Sweden in English
(If you don't understand what the lyrics mean, you are not alone. But I will add that when Swedes sing in Swedish it tends to make a lot more sense. I'm not sure what conclusion to draw from that.)
8. Meet a Bear by Britta Persson
Beautiful song by a Danish woman. In English.
9. Riverside by Agnes Obél
From the smallest state in the US:
10. 20 Miles by Deer Tick
And this is a sweet song, that is not crap, because... it's Scottish.
11. Baby Lee by Teenage Fanclub
And now, the first you can't find on YouTube:
12. Rebecca St. Claire by Modern Skirts. (I think they're from Athens, GA, too).
Hear it here!
And now, from the most obscure to, perhaps, the most popular (on this list). All the way from the city of Piccola Pinecone: Arcade Fire from Montreal. One could chose any song from their album; I chose this because it's fun watching them live. But for the purposes of running, I always avoid live recordings.
13. Ready to Start by Arcade Fire
Had enough yet?
14. Ivy & Gold by Bombay Bicycle Club
Whoops, actually this guy is probably the most obscure: Jon Lindsay - and check out how young he is (no music video yet).
15. Frequent Flyer by Jon Lindsay
16. Driving to LA by Household Names
Another great song without a video, from Larry & Olga's Austin, TX.
Now, this is not only a great song, but is played nearly flawlessly live here:
17. Ghost Inside by Broken Bells
(but if you get your hands on the recorded version, it's a little better).
18. Buttercups by Fran Healy
19. My Heart is a Drummer by Allo Darlin´
20. Famine Affair by Of Montreal (no, they're not from Montreal. They're also from Athens, GA.) - thanks, Steve Q for the song recommendation.
I received a few requests to make this list, but I'm not sure how many people will listen to ANY of these. Let me know!