Photo from Mount Royal, Frisco, Colorado.

"That is happiness; to be disolved into something complete and great. When it comes to one, it comes as naturally as sleep." - Willa Cather

Saturday 14 May 2011

Copenhagen Marathon

I probably shouldn't have. And even if it is a good idea, I probably shouldn't tell you all about. But here goes: I signed up for the Copenhagen Marathon next weekend.

I am, however, breaking one of my cardinal rules of running in prenancy. Yes, whether or not you want to know, I am going to tell you what those rules are:

1. Cross train
2. Do intense core exercises 2-3 times a week, focussing on back and thighs
3. Run almost exclusively on trails (roads serve only as access to trails)
4. Run in minimalist trail shoes

So yeah, running a marathon on exclusively hard surfaces is not the brightest idea if I want to make it through this pregnancy uninjured. BUT:

1. The excitement of a big city marathon is hard to resist (plus it is kind of my city)
2. It is a flat, easy route
3. I can sign up for half price because I am a student at the University of Copenhagen
4. SR's parents offered to watch the kids
5. I will be in Copenhagen anyway the night before with SR, who is on call over the weekend
6. I went on a pain-free, wonderful 3 hour run today, making me think the marathon distance is still manageable at this point in pregnancy
7. I will be at a sports medicine course all next week so (ironically enough) I'll barely have time to exercise
8. It's a chance to see friends
9. I love the idea of people smiling at the big belly (yes, I admit it)


All of these stars aligning made me realize I couldn't NOT run it. Plus, if anything hurts, I'll just stop (right?).

And most importantly, I have to remind myself over and over: One should never run to prove anything. Well, other people can; sure, that's up to them. But I think the only healthy way of looking at it is - One should run because one loves to run. And if I look at it that way, I am simply excited for next Sunday.

4 comments:

cherelli said...

Sweet! If you think you can do it and want to start, why not? You can go out there and enjoy soaking up the atmosphere at a comfortable relaxed pace...and just see how it goes...no one says you have to finish, just enjoy the day for what it is - a nice run among thousands of friends! I hope it's enjoyable for you - and I hope that if anything doesn't feel "quite right" you will know to simply walk away :) Have fun!

Kirsten said...

I'm sorry, but I have this thing about running to prove something. To prove that I can. Overcome my fear of the marathon distance. That I can do something that nobody ever thought that I can do. And you go running girl, this marathon and prove that you can. Even if you are quite pregnant by this stage. You shall and will glow with happiness when crossing the finish line, tummy first! You have run so many races, take this one to enjoy the ride. Never mind the time - you have enough achievements. Wish I could run with you and enjoy seeing you shine!

cherelli said...

Hey SLG, Someone posted this on the RunnersWorld forum...I think you may have commented on it last year - or maybe it was a different study? Anyway, I'm interested in your take on the data when you get a chance....esp as it relates to how much time is spent exericing, though it doesn't mention intensity or how much people exercised going into pregnancy...http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2366024/?tool=pmcentrez

sea legs girl said...

Hi Cherelli!

Actually, I hadn't read that study. Made me think a bit, but mostly made me wonder what affects what ---

Do nausea & fatigue (other signs of a healthy pregnancy) lead to less exercise or does exercise increase the risk of miscarriage? It's a tough question to answer and in my mind makes the study really hard to interpret.

In my experience, I exercised quite a bit more the time I miscarried than this time at the beginning of pregnancy. If you ask me, it's because I felt totally unaffected by the pregnancy the miscarriage time.