Photo from Mount Royal, Frisco, Colorado.

"That is happiness; to be disolved into something complete and great. When it comes to one, it comes as naturally as sleep." - Willa Cather

Wednesday 17 July 2013

Weight gain and intervals

Had you missed the old Sea Legs? The one who obsessed about her weight and was 100% convinced that the thinner she was, the faster she would be - at any distance - up to that critical point where bones started to thin and weight loss mania set in?

During my travels to California and Wales, I took sort of a new approach to life and eating: a "who cares, I will just eat more chocolate" approach. Plus I thought being well-fed would probably only help me in Wales. And then there was my favorite excuse: Renée Zellweger gained (a lot of) weight for Bridget Jone's Diary and then lost it again, just like that. So it can't be that hard to lose weight, right?!

Famous last words.

This week has been one long attack of hypoglycemia and what do I have to show for it? One pound lost.

But maybe, I should look at my athletic performance before I subject my family to 3 more weeks of Mom-on-edge. (insert bright light bulb and dinging sound)

Yesterday's intervals were 6 x 200 (following 50 min pulse class, 30 minutes strength training + jump rope, and 8km running working on technique) with 2 min breaks

All 36-38 seconds.

Today's 5 x 1000 (in warm temps) was avg. 3.49

Both of these are, if not the fastest, the second fastest, I have ever run. (I think I need to consult old blog posts)

Isn't it counterintuitive with a 4 lb weight gain + ultra marathon 11 days ago?

What was not surprising at all, is my swim 50 meter times went from 1:00 a couple months ago to 53 seconds today. A litte fat is a least good for swimming. But I knew that all along, though it was never incentive enough for me to gain.

Anyway, here I am.

And I have had a fantastic week (yes, despite the hunger) with the boys while SR and Natti have been in the Austrian Alps.

Christian and I started a new habit of running home 2km through the woods from daycare. He's so proud of it and is starting to value his running shoes.


And Annette Fredskov finished her project of running 366 official marathons in 365 days I and was there with the boys to join in the party. Can you seriously imagine doing this (never skipping a marathon despite feeling like crap, having two kids (she really does))? She is one strong woman. You would certainly not know she has MS. Coincidence or not, she didn't have one single attack the entire year. 

Annette Fredskov Jensen finishing 84.4 km to finish 366 marathons in 365 days. Congrats, to a kind, inspirational and always-positive woman and friend. Photo by: Christian Høeg

Here was her interview on CNN today (did anyone catch this?):

Isn't the Danish accent charming? And I TOLD you all she was wonderful!

 I will close with saying that I have promised myself I will not show any pictures of myself in our new Team Salomon uniform until I have lost all 4 pounds. Hmmm. This is better incentive for me than a wedding dress. But then I ask myself - is my goal to be fast or look good in white polka dots? Hmm, that is a tough one. The answer is- whatever makes me happy, because that is of course what makes us succeed in life.

2 comments:

Olga said...

Yep, I did miss your obsessions:) Although I have no answer for your great interval times (in short distances, theoretically, weight does matter, or not having much of it, a bunch to some extent, indeed). And yes, whatever makes you happy - nobody can stop me from whining "I am fat" for my own 4 extra pounds, regardless how "normal American on the street" looks!

Weight Gain Program said...

Weight Gain Program : Information on the fats, carbohydrates and protein rich foods that are very essential for you to eat in order to gain weight.