Photo from Mount Royal, Frisco, Colorado.

"That is happiness; to be disolved into something complete and great. When it comes to one, it comes as naturally as sleep." - Willa Cather

Thursday 31 July 2008

Goals for the end of summer

Suddenly we have more time on our hands. My work schedule is letting up and SR has decided to just moonlight odd hours like me. So we've set some target competitions, which we're happy to spend our spare time training for.

The first is a 10 hour triathlon in Superior, WI in September. We'll be doing it as a relay. We're aiming for 4 sprint distances each, but that's a really lofty goal.

The second is a 50 mile race in Manistee, MI at the end of September. I don't have a particular goal for this right now. Basically this race gives us an excuse to run more long runs.

We'll be doing a 20-25 mile run this weekend in Devils' Lake state park. We'll be bringing The Bois as usual and switching off running with the baby jogger. SR's family is beginning to think we are crazy. His mom said she is worried that we'll become less intelligent with all the exercise (I guess there was an article about that in the newspaper there). To which I replied with 4 studies showing exercise prevents cognitive decline. :). No, even the family isn't spared from my studies.

SR has also in the last 48 hours turned into a calorie counter. He's attempting to lose a few pounds and now weighs or measures out everything he eats and records it in a log. It is even beyond anything I would do, but it is interesting to watch. Yesterday he kept his intake to 2100 calories (and ran). The readers will probably be more receptive to the idea of a calorie counting guy than a girl.

My weight has been stable at 50kg. Right where I want it. Thanks so much for all of the food recommendations. But, to be honest, I'm still eating the same things. Just more of them. I'll let you know if creativity strikes me and I try one of the recipes/suggestions.

And The Bois' weight. Well, I don't know. All I know is he is curvy and beautiful a la Edouard Manet.



Running Song of the Day: Downtown Boys by Infernal

10 comments:

Olga said...

First of all, congrats to both on 5k run. As for the accident - shit happens, sometimes literally. No harm in it.
Secondly, about SR's kids and your moving. That's a toughy. Of course everybody'll adjust to whatever will happen. I never thought I'd be so fine with my older son living elsewhere and having a rare check on him via myspace, but I am. So will you.
I can't believe SR is loosing weight on purpose! Like, from his elbows? :) I gained 4 lbs since Bighorn and can't shake them off. This week I finally started training (as opposed to lolly-gagging) and eating better (all that travel...), and still, no budge. Argh!!!
Yay on 50 miler! Obviously, I am not into tri's, but I am just in owe of those. Go, team!
And awesome picture lay out on Bois!

SteveQ said...

Did you pose the little guy, or did the picture remind you of The Naked Maja? Either way, I laughed.

I'm supposed to be the expert on trail 50s in the midwest, but don't remember the one you're doing; must not be in the UP, or it'd be on my calendar.

sea legs girl said...

Olga, it's good to hear from you and thanks for your perspective on your son.

Steve,
Glad I made you laugh since your blog is constantly making me laugh.
The photo reminded me of the painting (no posing involved). Maja? Is that referring to the Goya painting?
And, yeah, the run is in lower MI.

Danni said...

OMG the two pictures together are too hilarious!!!

Sounds like good goals -- you will have fun with those I'm sure.

I have no problems with anyone counting calories -- the concern I would have is only if the intentional restriction is too much. I weigh my food sometimes just for a reality check on how much I am eating. And I keep a tally in my head a lot of times since I have a tendancy to overeat and get fat. But I know from experience that it can all make you crazy and awfully hungry which makes one cranky -- if you're not reasonable in your approach.

I am not smart enough to convert KG to pounds. Your audience is Amerrrrrrrican!

sea legs girl said...

Good point, Danni. I don't mean to be annoying. 50 kg is 110 lbs.

But strangely enough, the readership is more than 25% outside of the US. Not that that's the majority, though.

I also just have this conviction that the US should start using kgs and I want to be part of the revolution.

sea legs girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danni said...

It doesn't annoy me. :-) I'll join your revolution but I need to work on my math skillz.

sea legs girl said...

So, maybe I overestimated the foreign readership. It's about 20%.

RunningMama said...

Hi there--I have been reading your blog because I would like to continue running through my pregnancy. I have been running 50-60 miles a week and am 26 weeks pregnant. The past two weeks I have noticed that I have been having a lot of BH contractions...sometimes a couple in an hour. I went to see my midwife/doctor and they said I was slightly effaced and that I should stop running COMPLETELY even though my cervix was still long and closed. I think that I just haven't been drinking enough water b/c it is very hot where I live right not. So, what's your advice? Stop running? Cut back? Get a new doctor that doesn't jump to the conclusion that running is the source of all problems? Congrats on exercising through your pregnancy and after. I hope to be able to do the same!

sea legs girl said...

ivf running mama,
Great to hear from you. I'm happy you've been able to run so much and hope you can continue. Unfortunately, I don't know enough to advise you either way. What I would say is you should stop running as recommended, but try to get in to see another doctor for a second opinion. Try some other forms of exercise in the meantime, if you have not been advised against them. Swimming and spinning were my personal favorites during the time I was unable to run (SI joint injury).