Photo from Mount Royal, Frisco, Colorado.

"That is happiness; to be disolved into something complete and great. When it comes to one, it comes as naturally as sleep." - Willa Cather

Monday 23 June 2008

29 years old

Today is my birthday. Supposedly 29 marks the beginning of senescence. This is according to a Biology of Aging professor I had in Boston. So I am, of course, excited about senescing.

I am also musing about the fact that in the last year, I became a mother. Not of one, but of three. Here we are this past weekend on a "Team Lorax" expedition.

And I became a wife. We've been down about SR's job situation, but it sounds like he may get hired to do research. And we're going on our honeymoon to California and Nevada starting next weekend. Life is great when you are in love.

I'll leave you with a thought that makes me happy on my birthday...

This is how it works

You peer inside yourself

You take the things you like

And try to love the things you took

And then you take that love you made

And stick it into some

Someone else's heart

Pumping someone else's blood

And walking arm in arm

You hope it don't get harmed

But even if it does

You'll just do it all again

Running Song of the Day: On the Radio by Regina Spektor

11 comments:

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday and Enjoy your honeymoon!

Michelle said...

Happy birthday!

So where in California are you going to be? Just curious, since I live in this great (read: totally too expensive with gas prices that are quickly bleeding us dry) state. LOL!!

Meghan said...

Happy birthday, SeaLegs. I hope your 29th year exceeds what sounds like a spectacular 28th year. For some reason, I actually thought you were in your 30s. What do I know. Happy honeymooning!

Meghan

Olga said...

This is a beautiful poem, honey...made my eyes well up. I sent it to somebody:)
Happy birthday, sweet thing!

Brianne said...

Happy birthday! We were born a day apart (me on the 22nd) and our babies, three weeks apart!

Brianne said...

Thanks SLG! We live in Sicily, on the east coast. We will be moving early next year, maybe to the states, maybe to somewhere else in Europe. We still don't know. Hope you had a great birthday!

sea legs girl said...

Michelle, we'll be in SF, Sacramento, Reno and the Sierra Nevadas. Not too close to Fortuna (which looks like a beatiful place, though!).

Meghan, I guess I'll take that to mean my perspective on life is so mature and not that I look older :).

Olga, I can't take credit for it. That's from the Regina Spektor running song of the day.

Thanks Lisa and Brianne!

Danni said...

Hey SLG, happy birthday! Mine was Sunday -- but I'm older than you. I'm going to be in Reno, Sacramento, and the Sierras this weekend. Are you by chance going to Western States? That happens to be where I'm going :-)

SteveQ said...

Marriage, childbirth, moving, change of jobs... that's one active year the two of you are having! Happy birthday!

Michelle said...

Very cool, SLG! I grew up in Auburn near Sactown and really miss it. Thankfully my parents still live there so I can visit! ;-)

Yes, Fortuna is beautiful but definitely off the beaten path. That's probably my biggest complaint, actually. We're just so darned isolated!

Just be warned that there are lots of fires in the Sacramento area right now and the air quality is horrible because of the smoke. A lot of the fires have been burning a while in forested areas and might still be burning when you two get there. Sucks but it's true. :-(

Here's a link to a map of the active, major fires right now.

http://www.oes.ca.gov/WebPage/oeswebsite.nsf/OpenBranchContent/29AB11FAF23F909388257466006452B7?OpenDocument

Michelle said...

Shoot, that link didn't paste completely.

Try this one, then click on the statewide fire map (the Google Earth one):

http://www.fire.ca.gov/index.php