Photo from Mount Royal, Frisco, Colorado.

"That is happiness; to be disolved into something complete and great. When it comes to one, it comes as naturally as sleep." - Willa Cather

Sunday, 27 July 2008

Turtlehead 5k

So the local track club put on a 5k tonight at 6:30 pm, with a route which weaves it's way around the local sewage treatment plant. The participants were mostly members of the national championship college track team from our town. It was fun to hang out with so many young, fit people.

SR ran with the baby jogger and donned a "Running with the Little Shit" t-shirt. I think I speak for both of us when I say we felt really old tonight. Anyway, it was a warm night, I was tired from working all day and I had a turtle head. A turtle head is our affectionate name for when we need to have a bowel movement. Anyway, I was unable to resolve the situation when I gained access to a port-a-potty. The turtle head just sat there.

SR and I waited next to each other at the start line with the Bois in the jogger. The gun went off and the largest group of fast people I've ever run with took off in front of us. SR and I ran the first mile together in 6:12. This was by far a PR for me in the mile. SR told me to slow down, but I was close to the lead for the women and feeling good. Plus I had "That's Not My Name" blasting through my ipod, ready to play over and over again. SR took off running a bit faster. Then a woman came up behind me and pushed me with her leg as she passed me. Then she settled in behind me, drafting off of me. This behavior seemed extremely bizarre to me. I hate it when people run really close behind me. SR always tries to convince me to do it to other people, but I find it way too annoying. Plus I'm not convinced one gains that much from doing it.

Then I started to get bothered by the turtle head again and slowed down a bit. I can't believe I'm posting this on the internet, but I had a small bowel movement in my shorts. Not cool. Anyway, I had no idea what my time was at this point until I saw SR at mile three telling me to sprint to the finish. I finished with a 20:18 time. A PR for me! My old PR was 21:35 in the triathlon we did about 2 months ago.

I never would have guessed I'd PR in a 5k at 29 years old, especially 5 months post-partum. But since meeting SR, a lot of unbelievable (and wonderful) things have happened in my life.


S.A. said...

That dang turtlehead! Congrats on the PR.
Remember Uta Pippig having diarrhea and her period and coming from behind to win the '96 Boston Marathon? You are in good company.
I always have a cup of coffee and make sure I go before a race.

Danni said...

Congrats on the PR!!! I can't even imagine running a 5k feeling like that. You are one determined chica!

Meghan said...

This blog entry has been brought to you by the Department of Oversharing. ;)

In that light, sorry about the turtlehead, but congratulations on the big 5k pr. Just think of what you might have run without, er, things impeding your running.

Hope you're well!

Lisa said...

My husband and I call that "Touching Cotton". LOL! Like, it's "right there". You poor woman. There are times I think I am gonna have to duck into some pines while running (and mind you I always go before my run!) Evidently, I have to go again. Good job on the race! The Bois looks so cute.