Photo from Mount Royal, Frisco, Colorado.

"That is happiness; to be disolved into something complete and great. When it comes to one, it comes as naturally as sleep." - Willa Cather

Friday 16 October 2009

I'm back in Madison, WI

On Monday morning, I kissed SR goodbye as I walked into the WARF (Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation) building. As part of my PhD project, I was sent to the world's leading department in ophthalmologic epidemiology which is, ironically enough, my alma mater, UW Madison. Who would have guessed it would take moving to Denmark to bring me back?

It is strange leading the life of a single young woman again. SR and step-daughter are back in Denmark and The Bois is being taking care of by my mom. But man, I was reminded of how it's almost a necessity to be a free floating particle if you are going to work from 8 am to around 6 pm every day. I barely have enough time to get in my minimum 2 hours of exercise a day (which, of course, I feel I need to survive). How does anyone here do it with kids?

Anyway, I found a great little running path called the Mendota foot path near the UW hospital along the lake. It's actually all wooded and on winding dirt trails. Beautiful!

I can't help being amazed by how much faster a runner I have become since my college days. I saw a college student running making more vertical than horizontal motion and was reminded of my old inefficient style. Well, some things can get better with age.

I am also so happy because my sister got married to such a great guy on Saturday. They had a ceremony in a tent at my parents' house.

I am particularly sad to leave the US this time since I had so much fun with the Beaver Dam Eye Study group. But we'll be back for Chippewa in April.

My running song recommendation is actually an entire album. It's one of the best Danish albums I know of and it was just released. Unfortunately, I think a lot of the charm will be lost if you can't understand Danish.


2 comments:

Danni said...

I really miss running to Picnic Point in Madison. I actually renewed my love affair with running in Madison.

SteveQ said...

You're a Badger? Oh dear. That changes everything!

(I have wonderful, if beerily vague, mamories of being thrown out of Badger Stadium)