Photo from Mount Royal, Frisco, Colorado.

"That is happiness; to be disolved into something complete and great. When it comes to one, it comes as naturally as sleep." - Willa Cather

Saturday 6 March 2010

A GOOD Life

Well, it is my blog after all. If I can write about running, why can't I write about how to live life?

If I haven't lost you yet, I don't think you'll be disappointed reading along.

A number of things recently have led me to believe more than ever that the key to a fulfilling life is finding the things you LOVE about life and passing these on to others. I know this isn't a novel concept. But I think far too often, energy is wasted when people concentrate too much on how to make others happy, how to do things the "right" way and what other people think.

Here are some examples of passing on the things one loves:

1. There is a famous, now dead, singer from Denmark named Tommy Seebach. He had three children, one of them a son named Rasmus, who is now also a famous musician in Denmark. Rasmus wrote a song about his father's life and death, where he sings to his dad (sorry about my translation: "It took me 29 years, but I understand now. I've done exactly what you said I should. 'Sing, boy, just sing'. And so I am." The way that this song brings me to tears is incredible. I first heard this song in the fall and every time it came on my iPod, I had to stop running because I was crying so hard. Now I have heard it twice on the radio as I drove to pick up the Lorax and by the time I get to his daycare I have a red, teary face and I have to explain "It was just Rasmus Seebach". It's such a perfect example of how by doing what one loves and what one is good that, that joy can not only be passed on to one's child, but also that that child, Rasmus can have such an effect on others or, well, at least me :).


Here's a pic Rasmus and his brother, Nicolai put up on a blog post about their dad.

2. This one is from my real life. There are a lot of people who are in situations where they are not as close to their children as they would like to be. SR is in this situation with his son who lives in the US. My mother had a similar situation with her father. She wrote a few words about her dad in an email to us:

Though my father has been gone 21, almost 22 years and I always spent much less time with him than my mother, it is my experiences with him that I recall on almost a daily basis. He taught me to fish and water ski. Though he had never gone skiing himself, he was determined to help me learn on warm summer nights on the glassy lake. He instilled in me his love of gardening, explaining poisonous flowers and those used medicinally. I remember how he planted hundreds of impatiens the summer of our wedding so the reception would be more beautiful. Though he didn't cook often, he loved to try different things like mushrooms or cauliflower in the deep fryer after the french fries were done. He even made his own pickles several years. I still love the smell of fresh dill. He gave me an appreciation of beautiful things which he sometimes collected, i.e. the Danish plates. He was soft-spoken with a great sense of humor taking pride in telling the latest funny joke or story. He gave me an interest in medicine, sometimes by telling about interesting cases. I often go through the JAMAs and any article in the newspaper or magazines on health looking for interesting info thinking of him.


This is an old picture of my mom with The Bois.

Well, the point of this is, it is not hard to live a good life, as it should come naturally. But the point is to DO it, as life is short. One does not have to have children to inspire others and bring joy into their lives.

I thought I had better take a second to make a list of things that bring me joy: running in the white sunlight in the first days of spring, running in new places and running in places for the 110th time, skiing in the mountains under the brightest blue sky, walks on milky, warm summer nights, playing Chopin and Bach on the piano, tyring to sing like Aimee Mann or Taylor Swift, smiling, making people laugh, yurts (just kidding), reading Virginia Woolf, travel books, physical and metal challenges of all kinds, seeing my husband sweaty and muddy after a race and swimming with my kids. Well, there are so many more, but I better stop now since I'm crying too hard to keep writing and I know that means this is getting sappy.

Please tell me about the things you love, that you will pass on...

7 comments:

Fast Bastard - World's Fastest Hematologist said...

Are you referring to really difficult welding?

Or getting an eye spud under a metallic foreign body sunk into someone's cornea?

sea legs girl said...

Fast Bastard, you got that name for a reason. Sometimes I think the only reason you read my blog is to make fun of me. :(. But metal challenges ARE much more satisfying than mental ones.

cherelli said...

Ha, love the welding comment! You make a good point, sometimes it is way too easy trying to please others instead of pleasing ourselves and therefore helping others. My zen/love moments come from physical exercise, sunlight filtering through trees or clouds, views from on top a mountain, silence in nature, a can't-put-down-novel; healthy, colourful, REAL food; my husbands laugh, and seeing others happy during momentous times in their lives....

sea legs girl said...

Cherelli, Thanks for that wonderful list. :)Perfect start ot my day.

Olga said...

I was talking to RD's last night how, no matter how life "beats you up", always, always find good things in it, whether in these particular lessons, or simply just anywhere else.

Diana said...

I think this post is truly lovely. Here are some things that bring me joy, sometimes shared with others and some I love because I do them on my own:
Baking something beautiful and delicious, especially for someone else. Realizing my love of baking comes from all those patient hours with my grandma in the kitchen. Running in the morning when the world is still. Reading a good novel. Riding bikes through the city with my husband. Watching my dog run with abandon and happiness down a long stretch of beach. Having that same tired dog curl up next to me under a blanket. Not killing my potted plants. Having conversations that last for hours with my best friends. Relaxing in the evening after I've had a truly productive day of research, writing and finding time to fit in a run.

And now I will return to my regular life in which I am much less sentimental and I abhor sappy comments like the ones I just wrote. :)

sea legs girl said...

Diana, oh, thanks. I loved it. I don't feel too guilty about making you sappy.